Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Want to know more?

Want to know more?
lds.org

October 1, 2013

Hey family!
Mom, thanks so much for the package and letter. I'm glad to hear you guys had a good time on your little road trip! Did you take any pictures in Humboldt? I would love to go back there one day. Sometimes Pennsylvania reminds me of it just because of how green it is here. However, the leaves are beginning to change color :) I guess Fall is officially here.
This week has had its disappointments! We had a lesson with Kyle and Shaun that didn't go quite as I would have liked. It seems they did a fair amount of research (online I assume)  but didn't actually take the time to read the Book of Mormon. I wouldn't say they were out to bash, but the lesson ended up being a discussion about the differences between their doctrine and ours. It became very clear that we weren't getting anywhere with them. That lesson made me realize how essential the Spirit is to conversion. We can talk about doctrine all day long, but if they are not open to the teachings of the Spirit, "they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught" (2 Nephi 33:1-2). Our purpose is to invite them to seek answers for themselves, not to convince them by our words or physical evidence. Towards the end of the lesson Kyle asked us why we are Mormon and why we decided to serve missions. I was grateful for that opportunity to share my testimony. I felt the Spirit strongly as I shared my experience of how I decided to come on a mission. I think it's pretty cool that even though my beliefs were attacked, I was still able to feel the Spirit testify to ME of the gospel's truthfulness; I left that lesson with an even stronger conviction.
Even with that disappointment, I was able to see Heavenly Father reach out to me in love through simple miracles. The other day there was a guy who offered my companion and I a ride (I think I mentioned him in my last email haha) Anyway, we had felt bad that we could not accept, so we decided to stop by his work and thank him for the offer. (We had met him once before because he works at a local pizza place). As we walked by his work that night, I looked for him in the window but didn't see him. But, right then he pulled up in his car and motioned for us to come over and talk to him. As we talked to him for a few minutes his co-worker came out and started talking to us as well. Enre, the guy who offered us a ride, is from Turkey and is actually Muslim. Eric (his co-worker) said he's "on the fence" when it comes to religion because his dad is Buddhist and his mom is Catholic. When he said that it was like music to my ears! Haha, they are both very friendly and are totally open to meeting with us. I hope we can get a lesson set up with them this week :) So, when we were feeling kinda down in the dumps, Heavenly Father put them in our path. It's amazing to me how time and time again, "when our hearts were depressed" the Lord comforts us and gives us success (Alma 26:27). All we have to do is trust that God will bless us for our efforts, but in His way and His time.
I may have mentioned him before, but there is a man named Special K that sits outside a vacant church on main street, all day every day, and talks to EVERYONE. Special K is not all the way "there" as you may have guessed, but we all know and love him. Usually when we pass him on the street, he'll stop us and ask us for a pass-a-long card. Of course we always give him one and continue on our way. I've always just assumed that he likes the pictures on the front. This past week, however, I realized that Special K does not keep these cards for himself. He told us that he gives them to someone he thinks could use it. Yep, Special K is helping us do missionary work. It may not be much, but that experience was a reminder to me that I am not doing this work alone. Heavenly Father is aware of me and supports me in one way or another.
I hope all is well with everyone at home! Know that I am still loving my time here. It is difficult, but it is during the difficult times that we learn the most. Love you all!
Love,
Sister Denney

No comments:

Post a Comment