Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Want to know more?

Want to know more?
lds.org

November 4, 2013

Family!!
How was Halloween? Mine was great....I got to see Sister Strate!! :) She had a meeting in the area the day after so her and her companion stayed at our apartment that night. It was so fun to catch up with her. We may have stayed up just a little too late!
It's been a pretty good week! We had a couple really good lessons. One with a guy named Joe, who we met on the street a couple months ago. We had our first lesson with him on Tuesday, and he accepted an invitation to be baptized! That's something I've been working on, inviting people to be baptized in the first or second lesson, and I've been doing pretty good lately. Anyway, Joe is a very kind and humble guy. Not sure when we're going to meet with him again since he said he's busy basically the whole month of November...but hey whatever the outcome, I know he felt the Spirit in that lesson. We also had a great lesson with Alexis this past week. Since she is very analytical, we decided the focus the whole lesson on the Holy Ghost and how we can recognize its promptings. At first she said she doesn't feel like the Spirit has really spoken to her. So, it was pretty cool when midway through the lesson she was able to recognize times when she has felt the Spirit. She even said that she could feel the Spirit right then during the lesson. Knowing Alexis, hearing her say that was pretty groundbreaking! At the end of the lesson she admitted that while her initial intentions were just to learn more about our church, she has begun to really see something in our church that she likes. Seeing the progress she is making has brought me so much joy! I have full faith that she will continue to progress.
Along with the "ups" of this week, its also had its downs. We had planned a lesson with Naomi, the young mother we had met while tracting a couple weeks ago. We showed up for the lesson and she wasn't home. We called her and she told us she had been called into work but that she could talk for a few minutes on the phone. She then basically asked what our intentions were in trying to meet with her. We had about a ten minute conversation with her, letting her know that we wanted to share a message with her that could bless her and her family. I told her in the brief time we've known her that I've grown to care about her and just want to share some things that have given me comfort and strength. We recently had a training about being bold and loving, and something I learned is that the more loving we are, the more bold we can be. As we talked to Naomi I really felt that to be true...after our conversation she again agreed to meet with us another day. The day of the next lesson, however, she texted us and said she was no longer interested. She felt she already had the truth, but was appreciative of our time. So, that was disappointing. However, I fell confident that I did everything I could to help her accept our invitation. All we can do is give them the opportunity :)
Of course, we had another crazy experience this week. I love it. Makes for great stories! We were teaching a guy in a coffee shop the other day. We were originally going to teach him in a park, but the weather was bad. The coffee shop ended up being a good place...it is small and relatively quiet in there, a lot of people go there just to talk.  As we were getting ready to end our lesson, a guy who was about to leave the coffee shop asks us if we are Mormons. After we responded, he proceeded to announce to the whole coffee shop that the Mormon church was false. Full on announced it!! After his little rant he immediately left. It was silent, except for my laughter. We were in shock, and all I could do was laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation. The guy we were teaching asked, "Wow, does that happen to you guys often?" Haha, nope, that was a first. Once we left we saw the same guy walking in our direction. I told Sister Hansen, We HAVE to talk to this guy. (I think it was my competitive side coming out). Haha, it didn't turn into an argument though. I just asked him a few questions, and you could tell he did not want to talk to us. Pretty sure it's because he had nothing to back up his claim. He told us to pray to God and he'll show us the true church. I then asked what church he went to and he said he doesn't go to one....How can you tell me there is one true church if you don't even go? Anyway, it was kinda funny. Probably not the most productive conversation, but I just had to. Just the Hansen side of the family coming out in me ;)



Love you guys! Hope all is well! Please keep in touch.
Love,
Sister Denney

No comments:

Post a Comment