Family,
Sorry I was unable to email yesterday! The library we use was closed for Veteran's Day. Today we had our first snowfall! I have very mixed emotions about this. Looking at it is one thing, but walking in the slush wearing missionary attire isn't as appealing. Oh well, builds character. Also, I hear walking in the cold speeds up metabolism which is a bonus. Gotta keep off the mission "30" somehow...that may be totally false, but I'm going to keep on believing it :)
I think last week was one of the fastest weeks of my mission so far. Time seems to keep speeding up out here. I don't know how to explain it. Lots of good things are happening! We had another lesson with Alexis that went well. We have been really focusing on the nature of God with her, since she sees God as more of an "overseer" rather than a father figure. We continue to make slow and steady progress with her. She is praying and reading the Book of Mormon, and she plans to come to church this Sunday. Couldn't ask for anything more :) Another investigator John is really progressing. He called us the other day and said, "You know, I think I would make a great Mormon!" Haha, he's a good guy. He hopes to be able to come to church this Sunday as well! The Lord is blessing us.
Sister Hansen and I planned a little Book of Mormon study group and it was a total success. It was at the home of our recent convert Barbara, and both Alexis and John came to it. We read Lehi's vision together and had a nice discussion. Alexis and John said they both really enjoyed it! Since it was such a success, we are going to start doing it every week. I hope as weeks go by that we will see more people start coming. Speaking of Barbara, she is doing wonderful. It seems recent converts often go in and out of activity, but I don't worry about her in the slightest. She attends every meeting, every activity, and she is working like a mad woman on her family history. She loves the gospel, and she loves learning more about the scriptures. Ahh man, she brings me so much joy.
This past week we had an experience that may qualify as one of my most embarrassing moments...now that it's all over, I can look back and laugh about it. On Saturday we attended the adult session of stake conference. We got a ride home with a member, and once we were back in our apartment we realized the phone was nowhere to be found. Now, I have misplaced my phone before, but when you're a missionary all the sudden losing your phone becomes ten times more stressful. We searched the whole apartment, our bags, our coats, outside, and couldn't find it. So, we came to the conclusion that it must have gotten left at the stake center. I was the last one to have it, so I thought maybe when I took off my coat in the stake center it fell out of my pocket. The next morning we got to stake conference and started asking around to see if a phone had been turned in. As we were telling Barbara about it, another member overheard our conversation and asked us if we wanted them to make an announcement in stake conference. In my mind I thought, "Heck no. Our mission president is here and I do NOT want him to find out." (President Topham was actually speaking in stake conference) I half-heartedly said "Maybe" but told her that we were just going to keep looking. We walked away and didn't think anything of it. Right before conference was about to start, that same member comes up to us and says, "I've talked to the stake president and he's going to make an announcement." I panicked a little bit, but at that point thought it would be helpful. Stake conference starts and President Topham is sitting on the stand. As the stake president comes up to the podium, I expected him to say,
"A phone has been misplaced, so look under your seats and if you find it be sure to bring it forward after"
This is what he ACTUALLY said.
"The sister missionaries of the Pittsburgh 4th Ward have misplaced their phone. So, if they seem a little ansy to you that is probably why. For missionaries their phone has EVERYTHING they need in it, so be on the look out...."
President Topham smiled and shook his head a little bit. At that moment Sister Hansen and I sunk in our chairs and wanted to die. Our stake president announced to the ENTIRE stake, including our mission president that we had lost it. He might as well have announced that Sister Denney and Sister Hansen are the most irresponsible missionaries in the stake....and that was the first time I have lost the phone since I've been out. The good news is that we found it! It was in the gutter, under leaves in front of our apartment. The back was off and the battery was out. We put it back together and it totally works! Sister Hansen is pretty sure that we ran over it as were getting home from stake conference, so it was a miracle. All that embarrassment for nothing. But hey, at least we got a good story from it!
That's all for now. Sorry this is super long. Love you guys!
Love,
Sister Denney
No comments:
Post a Comment