Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Want to know more?

Want to know more?
lds.org

October 28, 2013

Hey family!
We've had a successful week here in the Avalon area! It is such a joy to be a missionary. People often point out how happy we are, and I know it's because this work is so rewarding. It's amazing how even when things are hard, we are still able to laugh and keep a positive attitude. For those considering serving missions, know that being a missionary is a blast!






We picked up two new investigators this past week. Katie was a woman we met through tracting, and we had a lesson with her and her husband. One of the first things her husband said was, "We think it's important to learn about other religions, but I know we'll always be Catholic." Not exactly what we wanted to hear, but as we talked with them they opened up to us about some of their disagreements with the Catholic church. Then, when we would talk about our doctrine Don would say things like, "Yeah! I believe that too!" or "Yeah! That totally makes sense!" Don is an intelligent guy who has studied other religions pretty extensively, so his acceptance of all the doctrine we discussed was pretty cool. Haha, at first I was intimidated by him because he knew so much about religion, but there is one thing we have that gives us the advantage. In Helaman 4:24 the Nephites realize that they "had become weak, like unto their brethren, the Lamanites," because "the Spirit of the Lord did no longer preserve them." Because they no longer had the Spirit with them, the battle was now merely "man for man" (vs. 26). As we talked with Don and Katie that night, I know that if it had been our knowledge vs. theirs-man for man so to speak, we would not have known how to respond to their questions and address their concerns. We would not have been able to teach with the power and authority necessary to shake them from their "carnal security." I am so grateful to have the Spirit to guide me. I know I say this all the time, but the Spirit in missionary work is ESSENTIAL. I have many weaknesses, but as I rely on the Spirit I can become the instrument Heavenly Father intends for me to be. So, Katie and Don accepted the invitation to take the lessons and they have begun reading the Book of Mormon! Pretty cool :)
We found out a crazy coincidence this past week. We had tracted into a guy a couple weeks ago that said he'd be open to meeting with us and accepted an invitation to our ward's Trunk-or-treat activity. (He has a five-year-old named Taylor). Anyway, we are working on getting a lesson set up with him. Meanwhile, we have been hearing from our relief society president about a woman she has become friends with that has begun taking the missionary discussions from the elders in our ward. The other day we realized that this man, John, is actually the brother of this woman Michelle! What are the chances. They live in two completely different areas, and we just happened to knock on his door. If that's not evidence that the Lord's hand is in this work, then I don't know what is! I'm sure that John will be way more open to meeting with us if he knows his sister is taking the lessons as well. We're keeping our fingers crossed!
Alexis came to church yesterday!! Overall I think she had a good experience. She said it was a much warmer atmosphere than what she's used to. Of course the lesson in gospel essentials was "The Millennium", so she was a little lost, but I do think that she will come again! Good things are happening :)
I hope all is well! Love you all!
Love,
Sister Denney

No comments:

Post a Comment