Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Want to know more?

Want to know more?
lds.org

December 9, 2013

Hey family!

First off, here's my new address:
106 W. Main St. Apt. 2-N
Salunga, PA 17538

It's been a crazy week in the Lititz South area! Yep, I am all settled in my new home now. Family, thanks so much for the birthday package. I was thinking I wouldn't get anything from you since you didn't have my address yet, but I should have known you would find a way :) Oh my goodness, I loved the pictures, and we are very excited to start giving the nativities to ward members! Next week we hope to drop them by members' homes so I can meet them and get to know them a little bit. I have learned from my new companion, Sister Thatcher (She is awesome by the way), that getting the ward to like the sisters has been a challenge. I think this will be a great way to continue developing better relationhips with them! Yes, we live in Salunga, but our area also covers Manheim Township, Landisville, and East Petersburg. When we drove into this part of the state, my first impression was it is very COUNTRY. Very very different from Pittsburgh...still, it's a nice area with some beautiful neighborhoods. Looks like I'll be seeing lots of Amish people. So far I've just seen a couple horse and buggies :) I'll be honest, I've been feeling pretty homesick for my last area. I know it will just take a little time to adjust. Overall, the people I have met have been very friendly and welcoming.
So on Tuesday we drove to my new area, and on Thursday we had to drive all the way back to Pittsburgh for mission leader council. Haha, I have been in a car a lot these past few days! MLC was great. It was fun getting to see a lot of my friends who are also on the council, including Sister Strate!! :) We actually ended up staying the night with her in Gettysburg on Friday night. The weather was really bad and it was getting late, so we stayed there and drove the rest of the way to Lancaster the following morning.



Some other details you might want to know...I finally have a car! After not driving for six months I was a little nervous to drive again, but so far it hasn't been bad. We did have a crazy snow storm last night, but luckily my companion is confident driving in snow :) Sister Thatcher has been out about nine months and she is from Idaho. She was actually in my zone when I first came out so I already knew her! She is very sweet, and I think we're going to work well together. She is SUPER obedient, and I will learn a lot from her. Our apartment is ok...it's a little bare compared to my last apartment, but then again, nothing will really compare to my last apartment. We will begin exchanges this week so I am excited for that! We called the sisters we are over to let them know who we are, and it's amazing the love I already feel for them. Even though I am nervous for my new responsibilities, I know it will be a wonderful blessing to serve these sisters. I may not be the most experienced missionary, but I'm realizing the most important thing I need to do is love and care about them. Be a friend to them. I continue to learn that charity is literally the root of EVERYTHING.
As far as the work goes, sorry I don't have much to say yet! And don't worry Mom, my birthday has been good. Sister Thatcher made me breakfast, and we're going out to lunch as a district and playing volleyball! I lucked out having my birthday on a p-day. Hope all is well at home! Thanks for all your love and support! I will try to get letters out soon :)
Love,
Sister Denney

No comments:

Post a Comment