Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Want to know more?

Want to know more?
lds.org

September 9, 2013

Family!
 
It's been a crazy week here for the Bellevue/Avalon Sisters! Sister Strate got called to be a Sister Training leader (kind of like a zone leader for sisters) in her next area, and we have had meetings like crazy. Also, I found out yesterday that I will be training a new sister. I knew it was a possibility, but hearing that it's actually happening is a little overwhelming. It seems like yesterday that I was that new missionary, anxiously waiting to find out who my trainer would be. I am nervous for this new responsibility since there is still so much for me to learn, but I know it will be a great experience. Transfers are TOMORROW so I will pick up my new companion then. It will be hard to see Sister Strate leave. She has been a wonderful companion and friend.
 
As you know, the members in our area did a fast for missionary work recently. Since that fast, we have seen the work pick up in this area dramatically. We have met quite a few new people that I think have great potential. We also got our first media referral!! (Where the person calls the number on a pass-a-long card). That may not seem like a big deal, but we have had a goal to get one and it finally happened the last week of the transfer. His name is John and a friend at work told him about the Book of Mormon. She gave him a card, and he called to get a free copy! We have a lesson with him tomorrow, so we are looking forward to that. We also met a woman named Colleen that we have a lesson with this coming Thursday. We met her while tracting, and she was totally open to talking to us. She is a single mom with two kids, and she worries about raising her kids right. She asked us if we would pray with her, and we were able to talk about prayer and how we can recognize answers to prayers. It was a good conversation, and she invited us back! Pretty cool! On top of the new people we are meeting on our own, we are still preparing activities to involve the ward members. We had a small service project for a less-active lady doing yard work, and Rob, another less-active, came to help. We also will be getting the word out about our next potluck which will be held the second week of October. I feel so blessed to see so many good things happening.
 

Well, I love the rewards that come from being a missionary. My love for the gospel continues to grow as I gain more knowledge through study and prayer. Recently I thought back to an experience my MTC teacher shared. She told us that when she was young, her older sister was diagnosed with cancer. They did everything they could to save her, but she ended up passing away. My teacher then asked, "If you had the cure to save a loved one from death, what would you do to help them accept it?" Of course we would say absolutely everything we could think of in order for them to take what we had to offer. As I was reading the Book of Mormon, (1 Nephi 13:40 I think) I recognized that Jesus Christ and his Atonement is the "cure" that we all need. It is only through him that we can live with our Heavenly Father and families eternally. However, as we share the gospel, Heavenly Father does not expect people to rely merely on our own words for validity. The Book of Mormon has been brought forth for a specific purpose, to convince others that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that His church has been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I love the Book for Mormon. It has been a source of strength, comfort, and learning.
 
That is all for this week! I love you all!
 
Love,
 
Sister Denney 

No comments:

Post a Comment