Hey family!
I have been so looking forward to emailing you guys this week. There is a lot to talk about! First off, we got to go to the baptism of an eighteen-year-old kid named Jeremy who was taught by the elders. Even though I didn't know Jeremy, it was one of the most spiritual experiences on my mission so far. Jeremy and his whole family were very emotional, and it was so cool to see him just beaming. His family had been inactive, but they are making a total turn around. His dad was able to baptize him, and before the baptism I heard Jeremy say to him, "Man, I am so nervous." It was inspiring to see how much this decision means to him. Our bishop gave a talk, and at one point he had Jeremy stand in front facing everyone, while the youth in the audience stood up. He continued to tell Jeremy that all these kids in the audience are now his friends who will support him. Then each youth, one at a time said, "Hi Jeremy, my name is so and so." After the baptism, we saw all the youth in the ward surrounding Jeremy, talking to him and making him feel welcome. Moments like that are what make all the tracting and rejection worth it.
As you probably can tell from previous emails, the work in this area has been pretty slow. We have been doing everything we can to find new investigators, but everything seems to lead to a dead end. We have tried to focus on members and asking them for referrals; we have tried to focus on visiting less-actives...We've done everything and we haven't felt like we're really getting anywhere. So, at extended correlation meeting on Sunday, we decided to make a statement. First we went over the elders' progress record and all the people they are teaching, and when it came to be our turn, this is what I said.
"So, we didn't make a progress record because, to be honest, we don't know who to put on it. We have been knocking on door after door, trying to find people to teach, and everything just seems to fall through. So, we need your help."
I was nervous to say this to the committee (Which consists of the elder's quorum president, relief society president, ward mission leader, and the other ward missionaries), but it ended up being well received. I think it made them realize that we need a new game plan, and we need to get the members in our area involved. Will, one of the ward missionaries, approached us and said that he wants to make the "Bellevue Twig" (If you've read Power of Everyday Missionaries you know what I'm talking about). We have made a plan with him, consisting of service projects, a ward fast, and other events, to reactivate and increase membership in our area. We are motivated to get things moving, and I think we will see miracles happen! In Sacrament meeting after correlation, we had another cool experience. President Nobbs, one of my mission president's counselors, gave a talk that was truly inspired. He said,
"Yesterday I got the impression that I need to give a talk. So, I called Bishop and he told me there would actually be an opening today."
He continued to talk about missionary work and how the members need to have faith that missionary opportunities will come their way. He talked about having the faith to act on those opportunities. He said that we have missionaries in our ward that are totally willing and ready to work, but we need to do our part. It brought tears to my eyes knowing that he was inspired to give that talk at a time when we were feeling hopeless. That experience strengthened my testimony that Heavenly Father is completely aware of us, and he wants us to succeed. We had exchanges this past week which was also an answer to prayer. We have only three weeks left in the transfer, which means that I will most likely be getting a new companion. For exchanges I stayed in our area while Sister Strate went to the other sisters' area. I prayed to Heavenly Father that this experience would give me the assurance and confidence to know that I can take charge of this area when Sister Strate leaves. I was somewhat nervous, but it ended up being a great day with Sister Draper. We went tracting, and we had more success that day than any other. We happened to run into a less-active we have been trying to reach, and we had good conversations with some new people. We met a guy named Kyle, who has friends that went to BYU. We talked to him for about half an hour, and we gave him a Book of Mormon and planned for a return appointment. At the end Kyle said, "Can I say a prayer for you guys before you leave?" At first I was hesitant since the statement :"I'll pray for you" is not usually positive, but we agreed. To my surprise, in his prayer he said something like
"God, bless these girls for going out and serving you. Please give them the confidence they need to go out and spread your word."
Sister Draper and I were both touched. Even if nothing happens with Kyle (Which I hope it does!) that experience in itself was evidence that Heavenly Father has not forgotten me. He sees the desires I have to be a good missionary, and He is helping me along the way. I think that is all for this week! Sorry this one was so long...Love you guys! Keep me updated on life!
Love,
Sister Denney
No comments:
Post a Comment